What do we find attractive in a website design? What draws us to a particular design more than to another? Some things that people look for is
– symmetry, harmony and balance,
– color, since each color has a significance and conveys meaning,
– imagery that speaks to them and evokes positive emotions and thought processes, and
– shape – some shapes like circles are associated with warmth and comfort while triangles stand for balance and energy.
In this article we will look at the following ways that we can attract attention in website design.
1. Unusual photography
- Arrests attention
- Creates an element of surprise
- Creates a unique image for the company or professional
The photographic effects in this Responsive Moto CMS 3 Template create a unique image for the professional. Extra bold typography spells out the name of the photographer. The images hint at the capabilities of the person and portray him as a man immersed in his work. More images merging into other images are revealed on scrolling in this one-page look at the man, his skills, his passion, about him. Details are given in the inner pages. The portfolio has captions on hover. Contacts are given with businesslike imagery at the bottom of the page.
2. Geometric shapes
Eye-catching photography with the arrow shape leads the eye to content
This website has made good use of good photography and effects along with graphics and statistic. A neutral beige background tones down the red content banner with specific information on certain types of transportation.
- Geometric shapes provide a feel of movement, energy.
- Shapes divide content from images and maps.
- Shapes convey meaning – in this case the upwardly pointing arrow says “We’ll keep you fitter.”This Running Club Responsive Website Template shows a runner in action in the slider, immediately capturing the viewer’s attention. Geometric shapes in blue and grey form arrows pointing upward or forward, giving vigor and dynamism to the website. The blog focuses on races that runners can aim on participating in. The gallery shows runners in training and related links. A look at the club members and club history is found on the About page with text animation effects.
3. Color combinations
- Red and orange make a striking color combination, arresting eyeballs
- Text in banners presents store’s offers to maximize leads and conversionsRed and orange are used effectively in this Children Clothes Responsive landing page template to grab attention. Store merchandise is displayed below with prices in a carousel.